Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: H2CM workshop at Threshold Concepts Conference 11th July 2014 Durham

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Sunday, July 13, 2014

H2CM workshop at Threshold Concepts Conference 11th July 2014 Durham

Prior to the workshop I did not know how many people would be interested. In the end I had four attendees. With the session located in a large dining hall I had to improvise. I explained the model on paper sat in the middle. The presentation worked on the laptop, with a little swapping of seats for vision. As always with Hodges' model (I believe) the questions and discussion that ensues is primary engagement and this can mitigate environmental limitations. This is also why I believe Hodges' model is applicable to the global community.

I had twenty 2-sided A4 templates to hand-out. The format was as follows:

  • What is Hodges’ model?
  • A concept sorting exercise
  • A case study exercise
  • Some examples of links to threshold concepts
  • Q & A - discussion
  • Feedback
The exercises appeared to go very well, prompting, as hoped, people to think about the model as presented, their own work and threshold concepts. The case study seemed quite realistic and yet it is of course fictional.

Where did I slip up? In at least three ways: I did not have my own feedback form. This is frustrating as I've used these routinely in sessions delivered in residential and nursing homes. I did not complete all the slides. We ran for 85 minutes starting 5 minutes later than intended. On reflection I could have attended for the two days as there were, some really relevant presentations on the Thursday also. I'm really grateful to the people who took part in the workshop. Their work included computer science, law, migration and mathematics.

They suggested I identify existing threshold concepts from the health and social care literature and relate these to Hodges' model. Another suggestion pointed to a pre-populated conceptual space using Hodges' model that can act a guide. I've wondered about this before in terms of how to avoid the care reduced to a checklist critique. Although lists play an evidence-based role in assuring safety and situational awareness, the check box mentality is viewed as undermining nursing and high quality personalised care? There is definitely scope for a paper combining #h2cm and threshold concepts.

The TEL course at Lancaster is proving a challenge as anticipated, because I do not have first-hand access to learning management systems and the more formal educational context. I am working on this with an ongoing secondment application, but I never hold my breath.  Doing the TEL course is (also) a test, it forces me to focus and produce small studies and very quickly too. I had wondered about using the workshop to this end, but in light of very helpful supervision and discussion with peers online I directed attention to a semi-structured questionnaire and the reflective content of LMSs used by local students.

Significantly, the four participants in Durham is more than needed for a 4000 word study, so the workshop is a great experience and further 'demonstrator'.

I am still reflecting on the workshop and will be in touch with several people as a result. I would also like to thank the organisers for my being able to contribute. The slides will also be posted online soon. I will add some notes to act as instructions.

In 2016 the conference will be in Nova Scotia, when available I will add the updated link in the sidebar.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/education/cap/conferences/thresholds2014/